Awhile back I posted this picture of myself in front of four 4'x 8' pieces of MDF. This post details what has become of them.
I' ve been wanting to make a Passe Tete for awhile, and I've been working a little on Pirates in the past so my intentions were to convert some of the characters from my Pirates! book into a large scale Passe Tete! Above is the sketch... STEP ONE!
STEP TWO! Transfer that sketch onto the surface. In this case I made a transparency of the sketch and projected it onto the surface.
...Primed and sketched out the image on the panels, and then cut out the unwanted pieces of MDF with a jigsaw. Attached each panel to a series of supports: seen below.
The following images show the painting process at several different stages along the way...
Painted mostly with only my hands until the very end when I did a little touch up work with a round brush and a flat brush.
Close ups of the individual Pirates!
Painted by throwing, smearing, kicking, dancing and other very physical way of moving paint across a 12ft canvas.
Another back shot. I fabricated all the supports and steps myself
And designed to deconstruct into a somewhat reasonable storage space!
With any luck, I'll be able to construct it outside during the first week of Fall semester and get some pictures of it in action. I'll post those as soon as they become available!