Friday, January 02, 2009

Last Month in Review

For the past month or so I have really been pushing myself, and set a personal goal to post something up on this blog everyday for the month of December.  Well, December is over, goal was met, and now I want to share what I learned.

Copic Markers are GREAT!  They can do so much in so little time.  They allow the user to be intuitive, throw colors and values into a sketch, and if it doesn't work, they are forgiving because they can also be "erased" using the colorless blender (0).  

Copic Markers are at best sketch markers, good for quickly conveying a basic idea, but inadequate for the completion of a full on illustration. 

Although Copic Markers have a wide variety of colors, their options for creating a "believable" skin tone are limited.  Sometimes it works, but most times it doesn't.  The colors are very saturated and at times can overpower the work you have already done.  

But I have also noticed that they act a lot like watercolors, in that they are a translucent brush tipped marker.  What I have learned using them will more than likely translate into my work in my upcoming watercolor class next semester.  I am extremely excited to be jumping into watercolors next semester. 

I started off the month looking for an "illustrative style." Hoping that I could find something that was quick, easy, and appealing.  I didn't find it.  Although I am significantly closer than I was at the beginning of the month.  

With all that said, here is my last effort for the time being in this particular "style." I started this one off with a quick sketch with a non-photo blue col-erase pencil, and jumped right in with the copic cool grey set.  Because of that, I am not completely sold on the likeness,  but I like the overall effect of this method.  Let me know what you think


This ends the daily posts on my blog, although I will be sketching much more in the year 2009, and sharing them here, it is a lot of work to put new work up on a daily basis, and with school starting in a week, and life starting to pick up again, it is not within my capabilities anymore.  Thanks to all those who have offered their advice and input on my sketches. It was all greatly appreciate! 


Thanks! 

2 comments:

Pat Bollin said...

One of the best I've seen from you. I love the likeness and the technique. Sorry to here that you wont be posting as much, but glad that you did so much. It IS a lot of work to post so much. So congrats for staying on top of it for as long as you did. I look forward to more when you can.

ChrisNeuenschwander said...

Thanks Pat, and I will still be posting a lot, even in the next coming days, I'm just not going to push myself as I have been to post on a daily basis. Although I do have posts planned for at least the next two days... so stay tuned!